Sunday, 26 September 2010

Can You Be Creative with Conkers?

 From reading my blog, you know, I have strated being more creative with Isabelle. I think it has something to do with her age and that things are not that messy. She is very creative and when she used to go to the nursery I saw some very creative things she did and have them all in her folder in her bedroom. One day when she is older she will laugh, but they are all very precious to me!

You might know that autumn is not one of my favourite seasons, but there are a few things I remember about the season from my childhood. One of them is creating animals from conkers. I have spoken to my English hubby and he has never heard of that, but maybe there are some of you who have done it. If not, there is a great activity for you and the kids. It's very popular in the Czech Republic, and my Isabelle loves it too. 

Last week we went for a nice walk to collect some conkers. Isabelle was very excited and me too. So what will you need?
  • conkers
  • PVA glue
  • thin paint brush
  • cotton wool
  • toothpicks
  • acrylic paint
  • scissors
Creating the animals is quite easy. You just use a toothpick to connect the head and the body, also use the toothpicks for creating the legs, tails and ears, and cut off the sharp ends. We have created a giraffe, a sheep, a dog and a caterpillar, but you can create any animals you wish for. Connecting the conkers is not that easy, so it's better if you help your kids with that, also the toothpicks are quite sharp. Once you have the animals ready you can paint them with some acrylic paint or use some glue and cotton wool for making a sheep. We have run out of acrylic paint, so have to get some, but as you can see the sheep is ready and one rainy morning has turned into a lot of fun!

2 comments:

  1. Ah! That's cute! Something different to do with them too, more fitting for the age group than the traditional 'conkers' game.

    I keep all Kidder's things. I've got boxes full. I think some of us are herders ;) x

    www.beckicklesie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute :)

    It is a long time since I have seen any conkers, and it is the wrong time of year for us, but I will have to keep my eye out for them next Autumn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails